The ECOBOARD Project
Channel Islands has joined The ECOBOARD Project, so that surfers can now custom order the same high-performance surfboards they expect from Channel Islands – but that are now “verified” by nonprofit partner Sustainable Surf, to have much less of an environmental impact…especially on the world’s oceans.
Your custom ECOBOARD Project surfboard options include:
(Upcharges below are based off suggested retail on a PU construction board
- Marko recycled EPS foam (60% post-consumer recycled EPS)
- Max length available 6’8”
- Max width available 21 ½”
- Max thickness available 2 ¾”
- Entropy Resins plant-based epoxy resin (17% bio-carbon content) (+$125)
- Bamboo tail patches to replace Carbon Fiber (bio-based vs. man-made) ($35)
- Bamboo full deck increases overall durability/aesthetic (longer lasting board) ($200)
This aint Gramp’s old “eco” surfboard – heavy, yellow and low performance… Sustainable surfboard materials have improved significantly in recent years, and are now up to today’s demanding surfer who wants a bright white, high-performance board – that also happens to be better for people, the planet, and our ocean playground.
Custom Channel Islands surfboards made according to the ECOBOARD Project Benchmark can have up to a 40% reduction in environmental impacts to the world’s oceans (if both recycled foam and bio-based resin are used) as measured by lifecycle CO2 emissions. Toxicity and VOC levels of these new materials is also now effectively zero, which also puts a smile on workers faces.