Kelly Slater’s Quiver for Bells 2012
I guess you could say that posting a shot of Kelly’s Bells quiver gives away the mystery aspect that he may not show up at the event this year!
Kelly + Bells forecast:
1. Points to a possible quick finish
2. Well overhead waves the first week of the event
3. Kelly currently posted up in OZ
All signs he’s probably going to show.
This year, Kelly has spread out his quiver a little bit — not necessarily in length but in widths. All boards with slight concave decks (instantly gives you that groove for your feet that sometimes takes days or weeks to happen naturally, as well gets you closer to the water line and really enhances the connection with your board). They range from 18 1/4″ for the lower tide pockety days or up the point towards Rincon to 18 3/8″. For the combo days as wide as 18 5/8″ for the high tide flatter faced smaller days. Bells is a flat faced wave so a little bit more width may be very helpful out there.
Margrets is a great wave to prep for Bells. The waves share many similarities and from the look of Kelly’s 5’8″ x 18 3/8″ 5 fin squash tail out there, he could opt for something very similar. If he does change it up, you may see him on a round pin epoxy version of that 5’9″ five fin (the round pin giving him a touch more hold than the squash and allowing for really clean sweeping or drawn out lines on his cutbacks and top turns — which is optimum for the long walls of Bells).
He has also ordered a 6’0″ round pin 18 3/8″ x 2 1/4″ tapered at the rail with a little more volume, 2 3/8″ at the center for the biggest Bells days. The thickness under the chest will allow for easy paddling and wave catching on those days or heats that jet ski assist isn’t an option or he just wants to sneak up the point and catch a wave underneath his competitor.
From left to right
- 6’0″ x 18 3/8″ x 2 1/4″ Semi Pro 12 – Round Pin, 5 fin FCS, Concave Deck
- 5’9″ x 18 3/8″ x 2 1/4″ Semi Pro 12 – Squash, 5 fin FCS, Concave Deck/li>
- 5’9″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/4″ Semi Pro 12 – Round Pin, 5 fin FCS, EPS foam, concave deck
- 5’9″ x 18 5/8″ x 2 1/4″ Fred Rubble – Round Pin, 5 fin FCS, EPS foam, concave deck
- 5’9″ x 18 3/8″ x 2 1/4″ Fred Rubble – Round Pin, 5 fin FCS, EPS foam, concave deck
- 5’9″ x 18 1/4″ x 2 1/4″ Fred Rubble – Round Pin, 5 fin FCS, Concave Deck